Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weeks 11-13: Two Ears of Corn

I have to admit it, when I first saw our share included two, very skinny ears of corn - suitable for only a toddler's appetite - I was a little disappointed. What's the point anyway? I mean really, what were we going to to do with it, other than throw it in the compost bin? Then I regretted my reaction. Soon after pick-up, Farmer Justin sent an email update on the effects of the rain. The field where the corn was planted flooded, and there are issues with the soil (too high in phosphorous). He reminded shareholders that this was a learning year for him. And who could deny him that? As a gardener, I know there are years where plants thrive beautifully while others fall flat. Case in point: Lauren's 2-year old Magnolia tree is covered in scales this year. And according to our local nursery, it's been a bad year for tree scales in general. So in my roundabout way, I'm trying to say that everyone, even farmers, can't control outside forces. Still, I rather him tell us the corn crop is a bust - find yours at a roadside stand/farmer's market elsewhere - than have those sad looking ears out on the table.

On the upside, I've decided to get the ball rolling for a CSA Potluck Harvest Dinner. I'm hoping our farmer will be up for it—I don't want to cause him added work. A potluck will be a great way for shareholders to meet each other, swap recipes and enjoy all that's in abundance.

No comments: