Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 4

Tuesday's pick up day was sweltering, which made the red barn feel like the inside of a Bikram yoga studio. Lauren, Ted and I bagged our veggies quickly while young Will supervised. Two new items of the week included broccoli and a choice of dill or cilantro. Lauren was disappointed that her peas weren't there. And I wanted spinach for an Egg's Florentine dish we're testing for Sunday brunch. The surprise of what might be available each week is always a treat, but after a few visits, we've begun to look forward to certain veggies. There's never a shortage of red radishes and thankfully, Lauren forgot about the peas and put herself in charge of carrying a bunch to the car. Lauren and I also chose flowers for our first bouquet of the season. Only some flowers are available to half-shares for cutting. Others are set aside for the full-share folks. Still, the Cosmos and Clarkia made a beautiful bouquet. The next time we're at the farm I'll try to take more pictures of the fields.

I hoped to ask Justin for advice on our own tiny herb garden, but he was tied up in conversation. I planted basil a week ago, and something has eaten it down to the stem. I'm thinking it could be slugs, which can be combated with a host of homemade remedies, but it may be too late. I've always wished for large, beautifully lush basil plants, but I've never had any luck. Maybe basil will be a part of our share in the near future.

On a recipe note, the spicy slaw from the Coastal Living Cookbook was bland on its own. It served better as a topping for a sandwich or as a side to Lebanese Chicken. In the mean time, Ted and I are going to test a few coleslaw recipes with all the cabbage and radishes we're getting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a good recipe for slaw, but it is in my head. Man, when is Bill Gates going to create hyperlinks to the brain? Let's get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Jen and Ted, hello! What a terrific thing you're doing here. The kids are getting so big... and beautiful!

From what I gather, you put in "half a share" to help support the crops, and then you get your pick? Do you literally pick from the fields, or are they setting out barrels and baskets or something for you to choose from? Since you asked for a critique, this is what I'd love to hear more about. Maybe do it on the "About" page?

As far as the mysterious thing eating your basil... I saw a mess of Japanese beetles going to town on mine down here in Jersey. We got a Bag-a-Bug but the beetles seem to like the produce better.

Keep this up, I'm really enjoying sharing in the fun!

Dina

Unknown said...

What a cool concept... is there anything like this in Bergen?