Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 8: On My Own at the Farm


After two weeks of guests, Ted and the kids decided to stay home and recuperate, so I went to the farm on my own. It's exciting to see that the crops are really taking shape and there are more and more offerings in our share each week. I forgot my tote bag, so I had to use a recycled plastic bag from the barn. I left feeling like the Santa Claus of CSA's. It was stocked with so many good things, but most especially, I love that we're getting "the basics" - potatoes, broccoli, herbs (namely basil for pesto), red onions, cucumbers and finally tomatoes! We're having a little trouble keeping up with our share lately, but it could be because of all the visitors. By Tuesday, there's always a little from the week before left in our fridge. Some of it keeps well, but I've had to throw out some radishes and beets.

The oddest addition to this week's share was radicchio, an Italian red and white chicory, which I learned is traditionally used in salads. However, Farmer Justin noted that this particular variety is very bitter and best grilled with oil and sugar. Grilling lettuce like leaves seems like it could be tough - I'm imaging the leaves going up in smoke, but I guess it's worth trying. And we should probably try it soon, the radicchio is wilting in our fridge drawer as we speak.

No comments: